Thursday, May 9, 2013

Day to day stories...

 Life is good.  The weather is gorgeous.  We are staying busy.  Can't ask for much more!
Since I got the piano for my birthday I have been anxious to get the kids started with piano lessons.  So I convinced my friend Cyndee that she really wanted to be a piano teacher - I'm an awesome friend, I know.  Brynn and Tyler were both very excited to start.  After their first lesson last week they came bounding home ready to practice and work hard and were all about it.  I turned to PJ and wondered how long we thought this would last.  Yep, the next day when I actually sat down and they realized what it meant to "practice" the piano (with mom) they weren't so thrilled.  Brynn still really loves it.  And Tyler does too but he struggles with anything that creeps into his play time.  Its already very interesting to see how they learn differently, understand differently, and each catch on to different things better/worse.

Speaking of Tyler's playtime...
...the other afternoon he asked me for some boxes.  I asked him what was up.  He said he decided he needed to build himself a transformer.  So we gathered some boxes and he worked for HOURS!  Then the first draft was done.  But he slowly added and built more weapons/armor, etc.   Preston walked in from work and saw the tape and colored pencils and scissors and little piece of paper and cardboard all over the place and asked what happened and said never again.  I said yeah right!!!... This boy loves to construct and if it occupies him for that long and he loves it that much then the mess is totally worth it :)

Kate still doesn't like getting sand on her and especially in her shoes.  We play at the park while Brynn and Tyler have their piano lessons.  I finally convinced Kate to take her shoes off and she'd be okay playing.  She mostly stayed up on the structure.  But she went flying down the slide and landed in the sand.  She was not happy about that.
Apparently if you lose a tooth while you are at school Tyler's teacher, Mrs Metcalf, gives you this tooth necklace for you to safely put your tooth in to take home.  Tyler decided that with his third loose tooth he discovered that he was going to make sure he pulled it out and school because he wanted to get one of those necklaces from his teacher.  His first two teeth he got out super fast.  But this one was a little more stubborn, and he worked at it.  But only at school.  At home he was very careful not to do anything he thought would make it fall out - like eat pizza (?!) for some reason he thought that made his teeth come out (maybe we had pizza the nights he lost the other two, who knows).  He was constantly talking about it and focusing on it.  This went on for several weeks.  Then, one day he came off the school bus and just buried his head in my stomach.  It took me a second to realize that he was crying.  Not just any cry.  Not the "I'm mad" cry.  Not the "I'm hurt" cry.  Not the fake cry.  The real sad cry.  The authentic cry I don't feel like I hear all that often.  I finally got him to calm down so he could tell me what was wrong.  I was really getting worried.  Turns out today was the day.  He had finally lost his tooth at school!  AND gotten the necklace!  Only then he took it out of his backpack to show his friend on the bus.  And the tooth dropped (his teeth are tiny) and got lost.  And while he was looking for that the necklace got lost too.  The boy was devastated.  And by this time the bus was long gone.  I did not know what to do for him.  He cried for a long time curled up on the couch.  We finally concluded that ice cream in the living room while watching Transformers would probably help him feel a tiny bit better.  It worked for a few minutes.  Then he was back to being devastated.  At one point he he sat there and counted and wiggled every single one of his remaining teeth and informed me this was never going to happen again and he had lost his only chance that he had worked so hard for.  
He broke my heart.  It took him a long while to get over it.  And still no more loose teeth... :(
Oh and to demonstrated how pumped he was about getting it to come out at school - later, when things were calmed down and we actually sat down to do homework and stuff I opened his folder to see RED writing in his calendar for that day with an explanation that Tyler had had a hard time listening.  I told him he needed to get to work writing Mrs Metcalf an apology note.  His response, "Mom, I already told her I was very sorry but that I just got carried away!  I just got carried away today that's all!  But I was so happy and now I am so sad."  Yes,  he still wrote the note.  And told her he wouldn't get "carried away" any more.  Geez.   

Just some Lego fun...
And some computer fun...
 ...Kate loves to crawl up on Tyler's seat and watch Transformers with him on the computer.

Way back, when we were at Smitty's BBQ for my birthday dinner the boys discovered model airplanes (they had them all over the restaurant).  PJ told the boys that was something they could do together.  We finally found some and bought them.  They boys were so excited.  Unfortunately we told them they had to earn them... you know by being good and cooperative and making good choices.  Shouldn't be too hard right?!  Well it was.  Harder for Tyler than Dylan, but still hard for the both of them.  Weeks went by and the model airplanes sat in their boxes on the windowsill.  My goodness!  Then finally they caught on and they behaved and Tyler could hardly contain himself.  In fact, they earned them when Dylan wasn't feeling well.  Tyler put his together while Dylan was sick and sleeping on the couch.  When he had finished his he rushed out to get Dylan so they could work on his.  I told him that Dylan didn't want to and he needed to rest.  Tyler did everything in his power to get Dylan up and going.  He was so frustrated that Dylan just wanted to sleep.  Tyler finally got him to agree to let him do it why he laid there and watched.

Kate likes to call herself Princess Kate - but its important to know that she isn't Princess Kate all the time - she is only Princess Kate when she is wearing something that she thinks is pretty and princess worthy.  Just ask her.  She'll tell you whether she is Princess Kate at that moment.

Well we haven't gotten out our dress up box in a really really long time.  We finally did the other day.  And you should have seen her light up when she saw the princess gowns in there.  I put one on her and she looked at me with the biggest smile on her face and said, "Mommy.  Mommy I'm REAL Princess Kate now!  I real!"  Well shoot, I didn't realize she thought she had to pretend before... she's always the real Princess Kate in my book!  Love her to pieces :)

I feel like I've had a lot to say about Tyler this post.  So why not finish off that way...
Normally PJ takes Tyler to baseball practice.  But things were getting a little chaotic this evening.  PJ wasn't exactly ready to go on time because he was madly trying to get his Home teaching report turned in at the last minute.  So Tyler was anxious about getting going and needing his cleats tied and wanted a cut up apple for snack before he left so he could have energy etc etc.  Kate was coloring at the table but kept dropping crayons and needing a cup etc etc.  Dylan was sitting at the table teaching Kate how to suck milk into your mouth and then spit it out onto the table and swirl it around with your finger (!!!).  And Brynn, well Brynn had forgotten how to subtract 9 from 17... well really she was claiming in a badly toned voice that she never learned (??!?!?!?!) and so she was unable to do her homework and I was beyond frustrated.  So I informed PJ that I was leaving and taking Tyler to baseball.  And away we went.  I thought a little Tyler and me time in the car would be lovely.  Only we had the following conversation on the drive there...
TYLER:  Mom, there is Celes and Macy's mom.
ME:  Yep
TYLER:  She's running.
ME:  Yes she is.  Looks like she's a pretty good runner huh?
TYLER:  Yeah.  Why are you the only mom who can't run?
ME:  Um... mommy can run.
TYLER:  You can?  Why don't I ever see you?
ME:  Um... usually I exercise in the morning right after you leave for school.  But buddy, I also run on Saturday mornings.  Remember how sometimes you ride your bike next to me while I go for my run so I'm not alone.  You like to be my gentlemen.  REMEMBER????
TYLER:  (dead silence - I'm assuming he was thinking about how he was wrong and NOT about how he just didn't want to tell me that he didn't consider what I did "running")
Then as if that wasn't sad/bad enough this is the conversation we had on the way home...
ME:  Oh shoot.  I forgot to put gas in the truck for daddy.
TYLER:  What's going to happen if we run out of gas right now?
ME:  The truck will stop and be stuck.  We can walk home but then daddy will have to figure out how to get more gas in it.  Its his fault for letting it get so empty.
TYLER:  What is gas made of?
ME: Well... that is a good question for daddy when we get home.
TYLER:  Mom.  You went to college right?
ME:  (me thinking he was changing the conversation) Yep!
TYLER:  What comes after college?
ME:  You can get a job and work or you can go back and do more school.
TYLER:  What did you do?
ME:  I had a job.  I really liked working.
TYLER:  I'm definitely not getting a job then!  I'm going back to school so I can learn more and more stuff.  I want to know about everything.  You should know about gas mom since you went to college.  But since you don't I'm going to go to lots of more school so I can be smart.

Sigh... I should be glad that I'm obviously inspiring him to be better and do better.  But I just keep dwelling on how he obviously doesn't think I'm all that great.  Its a good thing I know he loves me anyway!  

2 comments:

the Mom said...

I'm glad that this post was mostly about Toller. Every bit of the mess he made to make himself look like a Transformer was totally worth it! Loved the "backside" shot of him in it! :} His emotions run deep, and my heart was breaking for him, too, reading the lost tooth/necklace story. I have to say I'm VERY proud of you for not going to the bus depot (or wherever) to try to find them for him. That would have been my (wrong) instinct. Love the pics of Tate on Toller's lap watching Transformers. Love. Also loved seeing the pictures of Toller when he was a baby/younger. I hate the rush of time.

Lyndsay Detro said...

Okay, I absolutely agree with you. Anything that will occupy him for hours, working on his own, is totally worth it. Only Mother's can really understand that. =)

Tyler's story broke my heart. And yes, I probably would have called his teacher or something to see if he could get another one (or have him ask). You are stronger than me. =)

I LOVE that 2nd princess picture of Kate dancing. So cute!!

And I still can't help laughing whenever I think of your conversation with Tyler. I read it to Jonah and he was smiling pretty big to, which coming from Jonah....

That story was very, very funny! It makes me think twice now before I go tell the kids to ask their Dad about something. =)