This morning we started our Saturday morning bright and early and I sat down to chat with the kids about what we wanted our plan to be for the day. I started to list a few options, including going over to watch our friends Celes and Macy play in their soccer games. I was secretly hoping they would choose this option because the Matthews had stopped by to watch Tyler's games a couple of times this season when they had soccer games close by. And thankfully right away Tyler spoke up, "Mom. I definitely think we should do that one. I want to be a good friend. They came to watch me play so I want to go watch them. That would be our best idea." Wahoo! I'm a good mom. I've taught them something! Something is sinking in!... at least that is what I was telling myself in the moment ;) So we hurried to get ready and off we went. When we arrived Micah informed us that we should go over to the other side of the field because there was a fishing expo going on and they were giving the kids free fishing equipment. Brynn choose to stay with him and watch the girls games but I took the younger three over to check it out. And oh my goodness... they were seriously just handing out nice stuff! The kids all got a nice new fishing pole. And these sweet men showed the boys how to get them set up and put stinky brown bait on the end and we gave them a trial run at the pond.


Unfortunately I was struggling to handle the three of them and the three poles so it didn't last very long. But the boys were not disappointed at all when I explained that they got to keep the fishing gear and it could leave with us. And so we headed back over to the soccer fields. When the game was over the Matthews said they were wanting to go fishing that evening and invited us along. They happen to be expert fishermen (and women) and so we jumped at the chance. After dinner we all went to the Marina here on base. And the Matthews were awesome at teaching the kids what they needed to know and giving them the help they needed.


While we were still getting all ready Celes was off catching fish one after the other. It was awesome. They fish were bitting like crazy. But the Matthews weren't messing around either. They had come stocked with about 4 dozen LIVE shrimp. And there was one little rule... they each got one freebee pole all set up. But after that they had to reach in and get their own shrimp out if they wanted to go again :) And so we waited...


And we thought about it. And we contemplated it. And we gave some half-hearted attempts and excuses. Surprisingly even Dylan was hesitant - and normally this would be right up his alley. Brynn learned if she stood there long enough eventually someone would feel sorry for her and just get her one.

You should have seen the look on Tyler's face when he finally just did it - and I'm pretty sure he blurted out, "Oh yeah! I did it! Huh."... all with his hand on his hip and an attitude in his voice that was nonchalant. Dylan loosened up too.
Eventually Brynn was touching the shrimp and Tyler was baiting his own shrimp... We spent the evening fishing away and everyone caught plenty of fish.
After we got home she did some research and decided it was probably a toadfish - which is extremely venomous and has spines along the dorsal fin that are hollow and connected to its venom gland and it would cause a painful wound if touched. Lovely. Glad someone knew what they were doing out there!
Kate was very excited about her catch. She wasn't scared of it at all. She even petted it and asked me if I wanted to pet her fishy too :)
We had no problem blowing through 50 shrimp. And the kids still weren't ready to be done. So Holen took one of the fish they had caught, cut it up into small pieces and the fun continued a while longer!
Pretty sure this was one of the best days they've had in a while :) They were in their own little heaven today!




































4 comments:
How fun to get free stuff and have good friends to teach you to use it! It would have taken me a long time to touch one of those live shrimp let alone put it on a hook. Glad to see she survived sere training! Lots of fun pictures on this post but I didn't see one of you touching anything...did you??
So many great pictures! Two favorites: The one of Toller helping
Diddan with his rod, and the first close-up of Tate holding her fish. Well, and of course you can't go wrong with the sunset shots. Very nice!
I see that Diddan was wearing his orange outfit again. :}
That looked like some great free gear! How awesome! Looks like a fun fun day! You got some great shots! Uncle Steve must be proud :)
Free gear?!?! My kids would have been in heaven. That sounds awesome. They are always asking to go fishing. I'm not sure how they would do, though, at baiting their own hooks. I'm very curious about that. I'm shocked that all your kids did it, though.
SOOOO many great pictures. Loved them.
Oh, and those looked like brownie bites in Kate's cup. Did she try eating them????
Post a Comment