(Brynn at 4 months old)It was a little over 6 years ago and my baby girl was probably around 3 months old. We had just gotten to the University Mall in Provo, Utah so that we could take her to get her ears pierced. We parked and got out of the car. Back when I had enough hands I didn't believe in lugging the baby car seat every where - I preferred to carry my baby. And so I was that day; through the parking lot where construction was going on. I missed a pot hole in the pavement and tripped; well, really crashed to the ground, dropping my precious baby girl on the concrete. She was crying, I was crying, PJ was... well not crying and honestly I'm not exactly sure what he was thinking. But there was a crowd gathering not far off because California Pizza Kitchen had just opened and lots of people were waiting to get inside. So he picked us up, brushed us off and wisked us out of there. Brynn was fine. But I had just dropped her and there was no way I was taking her in the mall to have more head trauma by getting her ears pierced. So we went to dinner instead. I remember crying all through dinner. It had been a nightmare of mine that I would drop my baby... and it came true that day. And then, by the time I was ready to get her ears pierced again Brynn had developed a strong personality. And she had decided there was no way she was getting her ears pierced. She saw no reason to put herself through that pain - no matter how brief it may be. And that's where we still stood 6 years later. A determined little girl that refused to pierce her ears. I thought when we found out she would be getting a baby sister that she would want to go with me to get both of their ears pierced together - you know, a sisterly bonding experience. Nope. No way. She still wasn't going to give in.
Fast forward to today. PJ got home from work early. Brynn was home from school. He decided to take her out Christmas shopping. And so they left. And a few hours later when they came home I saw my sweet girl...
...my sweet girl and a little sparkle.

I'm still not exactly clear on how it all went down. But somehow they ended up at the mall getting her ears pierced. Without me. Oh well, he did get the job done. Apparently she sat proudly in the chair and didn't cry, let alone even flinch. But no, there aren't even pictures or videos or anything for me to relive the moment. But at least he is darn lucky they did a good job picking out her studs.
I think there was a little bribery involved. She's been asking for her own camera. And she saw this one she wanted when they were out. So...

So to sum up this experience...
Buying gifts for her siblings = $67.93Getting her ears pierced with dad = $40.44
Hello Kitty Camera reward = $42.93
Bringing home dinner to win mom over = $10.74
TOTAL = PRICELE$$
PJ happens to think the look on my face when I noticed was pricele$$. I wasn't mad at Brynn and I made sure I didn't act like it. I was happy she was brave and finally did it. But it should be noted that I'm madder than mad at my husband. So what is pricele$$ has been seeing him cower in the corner all night while trying not to step on any more toes...
5 comments:
Wait, WHAT?!?!? I thought that PJ wasn't in favor of the piercing at *all*!! Did I miss something?? Although I've always felt like that crash in the parking lot was an act of God, I'm not above admitting that Wynnie's studs are very cute. And that first picture you posted of her? At first glance, I thought it was Tate.
Oh yeah, and I can totally picture PJ cowering. May he continue to tiptoe for a long time.
WOW! I would be mad too, that's a huge deal for a mommy to miss out on. PJ is such a great daddy though :)
Wow!! I can't believe that Brynn has her ears pierced. Finally after all these years. =) I'm also equally as shocked that PJ didn't take pictures of the whole thing. But Brynn's earrings are really cute. I'll have to show the pictures to Madison. I wonder what she'll think. She asks me from time to time if it hurts to get your ears pierced. I can tell she wants to do it, but is scared.
That is pretty wild that he did it without you. If you are still looking for "I am still mad at you" leverage,remind him that Jeff and I can confirm at least one account of you expressing your earring/daughter desires.(Did that mouthful make sense?) (:
I just showed Summer the pictures and she giggled. They look like the ones she chose. You can tell Brynn that she matches with Summer. (:
Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Loved your story about your six year not wanting to have a sisterly bonding experience with her younger sibling, but dh taking her. As soon as dh saw our oldest (age 2.5yrs) with earrings, he asked why I didn't get both girls ears pierced? I saw our oldest with earrings, I asked if we should go ahead and have our ydd, aged six months, ears pierced too. Dh agreed both girls would look cute with earrings.
I don't know if your still thinking it would be a bonding experience for both girls, but my oldest wanted me to take the baby too and get her some "earwigs." I asked our ped about the baby and she encouraged me to go ahead when mommy could care for them. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced. It was no trouble to care for both girls earrings and am looking forward to have their holiday pics with them both having earrings!
If you'd like our ped tips, write me an e-mail.
Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com
Post a Comment