I volunteered in Tyler's classroom today. And that experience started out on a good note. When I walked in one of the aids, Mrs. Hoskins, came up to me with a huge smile and said she had something she wanted to show me. Their classroom wall was lined with beautiful Christmas stockings the kids had decorated. Yesterday they were handed piles and piles of toy adds and then given the assignment to find things that would be on their wish list to glue on to their paper stockings. I knew Tyler probably loved this task because everytime a toy magazine/add has come in the mail over the last few weeks he has cherished it, carried it around, and couldn't put it down. He would sit there for hours just pouring over the pages, getting excited about everything he saw. Well, Mrs Hoskins started pointing out to me how most of the kids had gone to town cutting out all sort of cool things and filled their stockings to the point of where you could hardly see the stocking behind all of the glued on toys. Then she pointed out Tylers. To my surprise his looked very different.
There were 3 distinct images glued on. First was a construction set that included a crane - no surpirse there; perfect toy for Tyler. Next was some grayish looking object, not sure what it was really, maybe a bridge?! Third, there was a sweet babydoll in a stroller. She said she thought that was an interesting choice for him and so she had asked him why he choose that. His response... because his sister "Bin" would really want it so he was going to get it for her. Ok, melt my heart. She said that out of almost 30 kids in his class he was the only one that had thought to put something in for someone else. I couldn't have been prouder!
But then it was all a little downhill from there...At carpet time he had his hands all up in everyone elses faces. He had a hard time sitting still. He was caught sucking on his shoe for goodness sakes! But then, when they came in from playing outside, he was not allowed to join his group for music time. He was sent directly to a time out chair. I approached one of the teachers. Apparently outside he had been a very busy boy wrestling, tackling, and hitting others!?! 

Within the past week or so Tyler has been going through some awful phase. We've noticed he has been very aggressive towards Dylan. He spends his free time wrestling him, tackling him, doing anything he can to bother and annoying him. I feel like I spend my days telling Tyler to let go of Dylan, get off of Dylan, stop doing that to Dylan. We aren't sure what is going on and have been trying to talk to him about it with no luck. I should have thought to ask his teachers if it was going on at school also. Good thing he's only been back to school for 3 days before I witnessed it for myself. They said it really hasn't been an issue before today but I'm worried it will become one. Ah, not the way I wanted to end my day! Gotta figure something out, and quick! I like my old Tyler... a lot!
P.S. Just another cute project he did at school where he picked out gifts. He was so excited to come home and show me the "pitty" jewlery he found me. And the snowman that his "brudder" would love. And the "cool tools" for him and daddy to play with :)

3 comments:
OK, Toller's love for Wynnie brought a tear to my eye. =] I remember when they were Best Buds most of the time.
That was such a sweet story. One of those mothering moments that makes it all worth it.
I wonder if Tyler is going through a phase. David has seems to have hit the same phase. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet...
Sounds like he is becoming a big brother. We have almost given up on the boys playing gently, we are just happy when there is no blood or bruising. The rough and tumble seems to be their way of resolving issues. It's that whole thing where boys fight it out and it's over whereas girls fight about it and hold on to the slightest infractions for further recall. I am learning to appreciate the idea of getting it over and done with. And don't worry, Mrs. Hoskins et al. have seen their fair share of weirdness from my own monkey...I doubt shoe sucking was very shocking to anyone but you :)
Post a Comment